The City of El Segundo is seeking highly motivated community, customer service, and career oriented men and women committed to succeeding in the Fire Department as a FIREFIGHTER.
In addition to the stated salary, the El Segundo Fire Department offers its employees retirement through the Public Employees` Retirement System (PERS). The complete benefits summary can be found under the Benefits tab.
Essential Job Functions
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following duties and responsibilities, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of duties and responsibilities is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Responds to fire calls and participates in fire extinguishment, ventilation, salvage, rescue, and other operations; operates various firefighting/control equipment such as pumps, hoses, ladders, and extinguishers; lays hose lines and directs water streams onto fires.
2. Provides emergency medical aid to individuals in need of such care; depending on qualifications, provides care consistent with standards and permitted procedures established for emergency medical treatment.
3. Inspects, cleans, services, drives and operates various firefighting equipment and apparatus; performs routine and preventative maintenance on equipment as necessary; assists in maintaining clean and orderly conditions in and about the fire station.
4. Attends and participates in special drills and other training activities; may perform duties of a Fire Engineer in a training or relief capacity.
5. Conducts inspections of public and commercial buildings for fire prevention and target hazard identification and review.
6. May participate in special projects, develop and/or conduct training, and perform work assignments while serving on various committees; responds as required when calling in from off-duty.
7. When performing paramedic duties on a special assignment basis, responds to and may direct others at medical emergencies; treats and transports patients; administers life saving/support techniques and systems; communicates with medical personnel regarding patient and/or procedural status; prepares related reports; inspects and maintains specialized equipment and supplies related to paramedic activity.
Education and/or Experience:
Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for satisfactory job performance. Example combinations include graduation from high school or equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Working knowledge of fire safety laws and ordinances; basic fire prevention and suppression techniques and practices. Ability to learn and apply firefighting principles and techniques; think and act quickly and efficiently in emergency situations; understand and apply mechanical and physical principles related to fire suppression; learn and apply fire code provisions and arson/ fire investigation techniques; work effectively and cooperatively with others; understand and follow verbal and written directions.
Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
Possession of or ability to obtain a valid California Class C driver`s license, and a satisfactory driving record.
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED or equivalent. Completion of job related college course work is preferred.
Possession of a current EMT and CPR certification.
Successful completion of a California State Fire Marshal Certified Firefighter I Academy.
Must be on the Firefighter Candidates Testing Centers (FCTC) eligibility list and pass the FCTC written test within one (1) year of application deadline (on or after July 23, 2017). Applicants who meet financial hardship requirements can apply for a grant to cover the cost of the testing fees. Please visit FCTC`s website: https://www.fctonline.org/cndidates/financial-hardship/ .
Paramedic certification preferred.
Must pass the CAL-JAC Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) within one (1) year of application deadline (on or after July 23, 2017).
APPLICATION AND TESTING PROCESS
Applications will be accepted beginning July 19, 2018 at 8:00 a.m. until 250 qualified applications are received. The application filing may close at any time, but should 250 qualified applications not be received, application filing will close on July 25, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. Interested applicants are encouraged to prepare their application materials and responses to the supplemental questions ahead of time so they may apply during this application window. In order to prepare your online application, you may visit www.governmentjobs.com, open a "Career Seeker" account and create an application. It is recommended to review and prepare your answers to the supplemental questions in advance so responses can be easily answered.
Online application and accompanying attachments must be submitted online at the time of application submission. Please attach only and all required application materials to your online application. Failure to submit all required application materials may result in disqualification.
The City is NOT accepting printed copies of applications or documents. Copies of any certifications, cover letters, and/or supplemental materials must be submitted at the time of employment application package filing.
Your complete online application must include:
1. YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION - Applications must be completely filled out. A resume cannot substitute for some of the information. Be sure to detail any education, training, or other relevant coursework that would make you a particularly strong candidate.
2. Professional Resume (1 page maximum).
3. HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA or equivalent Copy of your diploma, G.E.D., or official transcripts.
4. CALIFORNIA STATE FIRE MARSHALL CERTIFIED FIREFIGHTER I FIRE ACADEMY CERTIFICATE.
5. Written Exam taken through Firefighter Candidates Testing Centers (FCTC) within twelve (12) months of application filing. Testing must be completed at time of application filing. (See FCTC contact details below).
6. Copy of valid EMT certification.
7. Copy of Cal-JAC CANDIDATE PHYSICAL ABILITY TEST (CPAT) card. Card must be dated on or after July 23, 2017. The City does not reimburse candidates for expenses incurred for this exam.
8. PARAMEDIC CERTIFICATE, if available.
9. COPY OF DRIVER`S LICENSE.
The top 75 "Best Qualified" applicants will be invited to continue in the selection process. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an invitation to further testing.
The examination process will consist of a structured oral interview, weighted 100%.
Candidates successfully passing the interview will have their names placed on an open competitive employment eligibility list in rank score order. The list will be valid for a period of up to 12 months, or until an insufficient number of names remain from which to fill vacancies.
All offers of employment are conditional and subject to the results of a City-paid medical evaluation, (includes drug and alcohol screen), an extensive professional background investigation, credit check, DOJ fingerprint check, polygraph and a psychological evaluation. A loyalty oath is also required.
Candidates are responsible for notifying the City of El Segundo Human Resources Department of any changes in address and/or telephone numbers.
WRITTEN EXAM OPPORTUNITY FIREFIGHTER CANDIDATE TESTING CENTER (FCTC)
Full written testing services for the position of Firefighter will be offered through the Firefighter Candidate Testing Center (FCTC), a subsidiary of the California Joint Apprenticeship Committee (Cal-JCA). Candidates can find written test and CPAT information at www.FCTConline.org.
The FCTC will be hosting a written exam in the city of Garden Grove on July 11, 2018. Costs associated with the FCTC written exam and Cal-JAC CPAT shall be the responsibility of the candidate. Applicants who meet financial hardship requirements can apply for a grant to cover the cost of the testing fees. Please visit FCTC`s website: https://www.fctconline.org/candidates/financial-hardship/.
Information and registration for the written tet may be found at www.FCTConline.org or (877) 648-2728.