Essential Job Duties
Provide good customer service to both internal and external customers, maintain positive and effective working relationships with other City employees (especially members of their own team), and have regular and reliable attendance that is non-disruptive.
Respond to emergency and non emergency calls for service including but not limited to rescue, fire suppression, back up, ventilation, salvage and overhaul, hazardous material tactics, emergency medical assistance, utilities, air supply, rehabilitation, exposure, water supply, and specialized rescue tactics.
Assist with safety education for the community.
Clean and maintain station and equipment ? daily.
Participate in personal, company and department training.
Regularly participate in either group or self-directed physical fitness activities.
Assist with all inspections and testing that include but are not limited to pre-incident planning, building inspections, hydrant inspections, and hose and pump tests, daily, weekly, and annually.
Assist Driver/Operator with truck and equipment checks.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Secondary Job Duties
Back-up driver (once certified).
Secondary duties as assigned.
1. Be a citizen of the United States, not less than 18 years of age. Applicants less than 21 years of age must possess one of the requirements listed in
a - f:
a. Arkansas EMT certification or National Registry EMT certification
b. Medical certification or license at a higher level (paramedic, nurse, etc.)
c. 12 college credit hours
d. Firefighter I and Firefighter II certification through IFSAC
e. Accredited Fire Academy certification (NFPA, Pro-Board, etc.)
f. A minimum of two years? honorable service in the US Armed Forces including National Guard.
2. Ark. State Code provides that no person who has arrived at the age of thirty-five (35) shall be eligible for appointment to the Fire Department except where the applicant is already a paid firefighter. The maximum age of thirty-five (35) shall not apply to:
a. Any person who has at least two (2) years of previous experience as a paid firefighter with another department and whose years of experience as a paid firefighter, when subtracted from the person?s age leaves a remainder of not more than thirty- two (32) years.
3. Must possess a high school diploma or GED.
4. Must possess a valid driver?s license.
5. Must successfully pass post offer testing including criminal background check, drug screen, physical examination and psychological evaluation.
6. Per Ark. State Code, must acquire Firefighter I and Firefighter II within twelve (12) months of hire.
7. If not already certified, ability to obtain EMT within twelve (12) months of hire.
8. Must possess the ability to communicate effectively both orally and written often under adverse conditions; possess good judgment; good powers of observation and memory.
9. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from the general public.
10. Must be proficient in the operation and use of all vehicles and equipment.
11. Must have ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management and staff.
12. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
13. Exposure to extremes in weather conditions; possible injury while riding on emergency vehicles or operating department equipment; hazards inherent to fire, hazardous materials, special rescue scene situations and emergency medical incidents. Mental stress generated by involvement in life and death situations; cardiovascular stress generated by movement from resting to highly active states.