ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Provide good customer service to both internal and external customers; maintain positive and effective
working relationships with other City employees (especially members of his or her own team), and
have regular and reliable attendance that is non-disruptive.
2. Emergency response for fire suppression, EMS, Hazmat, and other forms of special rescues.
3. Provide fire suppression in all types of fire situations.
4. Perform search and rescue operations at fires to locate and remove victims.
5. Perform ventilation operations at fires to remove smoke and heat from structures.
6. Participate in training classes and drills to maintain and enhance fire fighting and EMS skills.
7. Public education and fire safety education with children, adults and schools.
8. Clean and maintain station and equipment.
9. Personal, company and department training.
10. Regularly participates in either group or self-directed physical fitness activities during duty hours.
11. Conduct pre-fire plans and inspections with local businesses and establishments.
12. Back-up driver.
13. Assist Driver/Operator with truck and equipment checks daily and perform hose and pump testing
14. Perform recordkeeping.
15. Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or GED plus specialized training and/or additional college courses and 12-18 months of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must possess a valid Driver?s License, Firefighter I & II Standards Certificate, Arkansas EMT Certificate, Hazardous Material Operations Level, CPR, obtain NIMS ICS 100 and 700 certification.
Regular contacts within the department and with other departments as needed.
Regular contacts with citizens, business owners, local law enforcement, outside representatives, community groups as needed.
USE OF EQUIPMENT AND/OR COMPUTERS
Regular use of highly complex machines and fire equipment; specialized life sustaining equipment.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Ability to utilize both internal and external resources to obtain information and data necessary to carry out routine assignments and special projects. Must have ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management and staff.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet/and or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat; risk of electrical shock; works with explosives; risk of radiation; and risk of vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.