APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT GOSHEN FIRE DEPARTMENT CITY OF GOSHEN, INDIANA
In order to ensure the perpetuation of the prestige and reputation of the Goshen Fire Department, each applicant must meet the minimum qualification requirements and successfully complete each step of the selection process to be considered for employment.
A. Instructions and Other Information
1. The application for employment must be filled out by the applicant. It may either be typed or printed in ink.
2. The applicant is responsible for answering all questions. If a question does not apply, indicate ?Not
Applicable? or ?N/A.? Applications will not be considered until complete in every respect.
3. Any required attachments or additional pages containing necessary information should be attached after the
last page of the application.
4. Please do not enclose original documents (e.g. educational certificates, etc.).
5. Please return the completed application to: City of Goshen Human Resources Department 204 East Jefferson, Suite 3 Goshen, Indiana 46528
6. Upon review of applications received, an applicant may be rejected if he/she does not meet the minimum qualification requirements as listed.
7. Applications will be accepted from (specify date) through (specify date).
8. Applicants meeting the minimum qualification requirements will be notified of the time and place of the written examination by mail. Therefore, it is the applicant?s responsibility to notify the Goshen Fire Department by mail of any change in his or her mailing address or phone number.
9. Please do not inquire about the status of your application as you will receive appropriate information
concerning your application routinely and in due time.
B. Minimum Qualification Requirements
1. Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or authorized to be employed in the U.S.
2. Applicant must be a minimum of 21 years of age.
3. Applicant must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
4. Applicant must be, at a minimum, a registered Indiana State Certified Emergency Medical Technician.
5. Applicant must possess a valid driver?s license.
C. Selection Process
Provided the applicant has met the minimum qualification requirements upon review of the completed application, following are the next stages in the selection process. The successful completion of each stage is necessary to proceed in the selection process.
1. General Aptitude Test - The applicant may be required to pay a fee of $15.00 to cover the cost of the written test. The applicant will be given a study guide to prepare for the test four weeks prior to the test date. The passing score for this stage of the process is 75 percent or higher. The applicant must return the study guide on the day of the test. Failure to do so will preclude the applicant from proceeding in the selection process.
2. Physical Agility Test - This stage of the process reflects the essential functions of the job and includes testing of the following: fear of heights (acrophobia); fear of confinement (claustrophobia); muscular strength; muscular endurance; cardiovascular endurance; and musculoskeletal flexibility. To pass this stage of the testing process, the applicant must complete each task of the physical agility test within an established time limit. Prior to the test date, the applicant will be given an information packet which describes the tasks to be performed. The packet also contains two waivers of liability forms that must be signed, notarized and returned on the day of the test. Failure to do so will preclude the applicant from proceeding in the selection process.
3. Character Investigation - Because of the highly sensitive nature of this occupation, applicants may be rejected if the character investigation reveals any of the following: current drug use or any drug dealing; current alcohol use that would impair job performance; conviction of a felony; acts of dishonesty or theft; employment history indicating tardiness or excessive absenteeism; or the inability to follow orders from supervisors or deal effectively with co-workers or the public.
After successfully completing each of the above requirements, the applicant?s name will be placed on a hiring pool list. Interviews will be conducted with applicants from the hiring pool list as needed to fill vacancies in the department.
D. Conditional Offer of Employment
After the interview process, the applicant may be extended a conditional offer of employment. The offer of employment with the Goshen Fire Department is conditioned upon the applicant successfully passing the requirements below:
1. Baseline Statewide Mental Examination.
2. Baseline Statewide Physical Examination.
3. Acceptance into the Police Officers` and Firefighters` Pension and Disability Fund.
E. Other Requirements
Upon appointment as a firefighter of the Goshen Fire Department, the member must:
1. Reside in Indiana within Elkhart County or in an Indiana county that is contiguous to Elkhart County;
2. Have adequate means of transportation into Goshen;
3. Maintain in his/ her residence, telephone service which will allow for communication with the department;
4. Successfully complete a one year probationary period to receive permanent appointment to the department
5. Although not a requirement of continued employment, applicants are encouraged to obtain paramedic
certification within 30 months of employment with the Goshen Fire Department. Failure to do so may affect advancement opportunities.
Any applicant who competes in the selection process for a position as a firefighter and is unsuccessful in achieving hiring status shall not be excluded from consideration for any future vacancies in any subsequent processing period. The applicant, however, must submit a new application form and complete each step of the selection process during any subsequent processing periods.